Tuesday 19 March 2013

Referee practical exam

Follwoing my earlier attendance at the BJA referees course, I had to complete a 'practical' exam.

My practical was refereeing at the Hampshire Closed on the 16th March.  It's a bit of a 'baptism of fire' as you are literally, dropped in the deep end and referee in a live competition.

The juniors seem fine, even when you make an odd mistake its ok!  The seniors are a different ball game, especailly the ones who are 'professional' competitors.  The ones that have to win by any cost, or have to slightly bend the rules as often as possible in order to gain an edge.

With the support of several of the existing referee's I passed my practical, and I owe them thanks for helping me out during the day.

What I can definately say, is next time you compete, spare a couple of thoughts for the ref.  Firstly he is human, and will make mistakes.  Secondly he is probably a judoka himself and knows what he is talking about, and finally, not only are the competitors putting him under pressure, but also the pushy parents and loud coaches from the side. (you know who you are!)

Everyone has their opinion of the decisions made, but at the end of the day it is down to the referee.

No comments:

Post a Comment