Tuesday 25 September 2012

Confidence

Confidence.  Where do we get it?

I have never found a sport I have participated in to affect my confidence levels as much as Judo.  It can either be really high, or really low.  The problem is the lows seem to last long and the highs are short lived.

I'm probably not experienced to know the mechanics of this, or if all judoka feel the same.  Recently I have lost complete confidence in my ability, due to what I see as bad performances, but I know that when I get back on the mat, one good ippon throw in Randori will make me feel a lot better.  The trouble is, it is something that cannot be taught and you see varying levels displayed by all judoka at one time or another.

I decided to do some research at the last competition I attended (but not competed in).  During my long wait, i had a chat with several competitors all waiting their turn.  When you look around a competition hall they can seem intimidating, everyone looks like they know what they are doing and a fair few look absolutely brimming in confidence. 

It would appear that this isn't actually the case.  From the judoka that I spoke to, it seemed that all of them felt as nervous, and lacking in confidence as I do.  Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but the over confident are few and far between.

That appears to be the trick, to put on a 'brave' face of confidence, in the knowledge that your competitor may well see this and feel even more concerned, than they did originally in themselves.

It's certainly something I will have to work on in the future, but it's worth pointing out, that next time you walk on to the tatami and see your opponent, grinning, with a look of complete confidence, don't take it to heart, instead mirror the look, and let them worry about you.

1 comment:

  1. Hello all just a quick update from Pete,
    We had the first of our 'turnout' sessions today, and the students have done fantastically!, They were pleasantly surprised, to find that they can do wonderfully smooth techniques :)
    Well done all!
    For those of you who haven't seen the intro the link below will show you what I'm babbling about
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/mkFiXEeI_MI"

    ReplyDelete