Monday 3 September 2012

Injuries

As it turns out one of my staff members also trains in Judo.  Whilst away on holiday, I had a message that he had recently injured himself during training and was now signed off work for a minimum of 3 weeks.

Apparently, he had been fighting during randori against a newcomer, who had managed to throw him, during the throw he somehow landed badly on his shoulder, with the other player landing on top of him, causing a dislocated shoulder and broken collar bone.

Firstly, I would like to say that this didn't happen at Nokemono, although as with any contact sports, injuries can occur and often do.

There is no specific point behind this post other than to raise the topic of injuries.  Obviously as previously stated,in a full contact sport, injuries are bound to occur, but how do you minimise them?

Whenever I enter in to randori, I do not avoid it because of the risk of injury, but somehow at the back of my mind, i'm always aware that it can occur and this leads on to other things.  What happens if I can't work, what happens if it stops my training etc.  During my first few months 'back' on the mat after a very long sebatical I spent at least one week off in every four with an injury of some format or another.

Does this concern only happen with adults? With the additional responsibilities of bills to pay, families to support, businesses to run etc a severe injury could have quite a life changing effect. I know that  the older I get the harder it seems to be to recover, whereas watching the youngsters class, they are much more resilient, and quicker to heal, not to metion flexible in the first place.

The BJA insurance that comes with your license is pitiful in the sums offered for various injuries, so should Judoka be required to enhance that insurance?

Should lower grades only be allowed to train with dan grades who know how to control the throw and make sure you land 'safely'?

It's a bit of a tricky subject all in all, and I know it is one that Judo suffers from as it is probably the largest cause of Judoka retiring.  What to do about it is another matter.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the throw that injured your staff member.
    He was thrown with what was almost a kneeling Harai Goshi and landed right on the point of his shoulder. I was shocked at the severity of the injury from something that seamed so inoccuous. I realy feel for him and wish him a speedy recovery.I myself am very aware of the risk of injury during Randori as i have come to judo later in life and am somewhat large instature. I have found that most of my avoidable injuries have occured when fighting novice Judoka. Although unfortunate,
    i sometimes avoid or decline to fight novices as they often drop or give no assistance with the landing. I feel the best effort i can make to avoid injury is to aportion sufficiant time to strengthen my body in the gym. I can't quote the Kodokan book but i am working on a ratio of at least 50% Gym to Judo and preferably a 3 to 1 ratio.
    Very much enjoy the blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thought i would give an update on my injury status. As it happens after several hospital appointments and second opinions it turns out that i have suffered a fractured clavicle (AC joint dislocation) whilst in the process also managing to sever the supporting ligaments and to top this off some heavy bruising and swelling as expected with this type of injury. The remedy! Surgery comprising AC joint reconstruction and integration of artificial ligament, rendering my martial arts career useless until the earliest of February 2013. Marvelous!

    ReplyDelete