Tuesday 25 September 2012

Devon Kyu Grade competition

I had booked myself in to the Devon Kyu Grade competition a couple of months ago.  Unfortunately being injured the weekend before meant that I had to withdraw from competing at this event. 

Frankly I was gutted as it was the first competition in ages, which was split grade and meant that I could compete against judoka from other clubs who were my grade and weight.  Not age unfortunately.

As it happens, I was due to give two other judoka a lift to the competition, and seeing as they had no other transport, I took them down to Devon, on a rather wet and windy Sunday.

Joining us at the competition were two other Judoka who train at Nokemono from time to time, and also at Wessex Judo club.

Leaving at about 7.30 for an 11.30 weigh in the day started early.  It became slightly more frustrating when the first fight for any of us, was nearly 4.00pm.  There was no dedicated warm up area, and the hall where the competition was held was packed.  We witnessed some pretty severe injuries throughout the adult competition, and you have to wonder whether that was down to a lack of warm up. 

Getting there for 11.30 and then waiting until 4 meant that the adrenaline had gone, nerves had set in and the muscles were cold.  Could the injuries we saw have been prevented?

After watching several fights with some dubious refereeing decisions, the four competitors I was with took to the mat.   Two of them lost two fights and won one, one of them lost both of his bouts and finally Big Fred (I hope he doesn't mind me using his name) won all of his fights in the +100kg category to take the gold spot.  A big congratulations to Fred. 

Th hall where the action took place.
 
 
 
 
Afterwards followed a long drive home in even worse conditions than the drive down there.. even the end of the M5 was closed due to an accident in the fog and driving rain. Everyone seemed to have had a good day however, if not left feeling a little bruised.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. A very accurate round up of the day. I would add to that - no dedicated seating in the competitors area for those who might want to sit down after a fight and a scorer dizzy with her own importance.
    I think you are right about the lack of warm up facilities having an impact on the amount of injuries. I sufferd a blow in my first fight to the mid thigh and the bruise stretches half way down my calf.
    Loving the Blog.

    ReplyDelete